Friday, April 21, 2017

Rome. By all means. Rome!

When I found a $400 airline ticket to Rome from CLT, we had to buy it. In fact, I put the ticket on hold within twenty minutes of receiving the flight alert.   I have waited nine years for an Italian adventure; I had parts of this trip planned out already because I have just known one day I would get to Italy. 

The title of this blog is a quote from the movie Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn.   I feel if you are going to go to Rome, you better brush up on your religious, art, cinematic, and classical histories. To say I did a lot of research for this trip is an understatement.  I have watched movies, read non-fiction books, listened to dozens of podcasts, and spent countless hours on webpages.   It took this effort and my favorite travel sites to plan this exciting trip!  We will be traveling by plane, car, metro, boat, train, and scooter around Italy. 

We will start out in Rome; a city obviously loaded with ancient buildings and artifacts.  I cannot wait to see some of the highlights like the Colosseum, the Vatican, and Trevi Fountain.  We also can’t wait for the food and wine! 


To make sure we incorporated the vacation part into this trip, we will venture down to the Amalfi Coast for a few days.  Jordan will be brave enough to drive us on this road trip. Here we will visit ancient Greek Temples, the most beautiful coastline with hilltop towns, beaches, and hopefully Capri!  Yes, Capri is the fancy island that has been alluring famous people since the times of Roman Emperors.   We will be lucky enough to stay in Positano.  This is the sea side city Frances / Diane Lane travels to in Under the Tuscan Sun.  



We will leave the beautiful coast for a few more stops.  We will tour the ruins of Pompeii and then hop over to Naples for a bit.  Yes, I’m nervous when I write that too!   However, we all know I’m a sucker for a world renowned museum.  Naples has the Archeological Museum that houses most of the artifacts from the Pompeii excavations.   Then we will train back to Rome to soak in the Eternal City for one last day. 
  
After all, the closest we have been to the Trevi Fountain is at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas (See, Circa 2006)




La Dolce Vita!  

No comments:

Post a Comment