Monday, May 8, 2017

Take it to the limit one more time... Naples

Gritty.  As Jordan & I did not get to experience NYC in the 1970s, Moscow in the 1980s, & have not been to India, we have not been to a city that can truly be described in this way.  Naples / Napoli fits this word.  It's known for the mafia, giving the world pizza, & its Bay.  


I have never put Naples at the top of any travel list, but it boasts a world renowned museum & stopping in the city completes this entire region of Italy.  I decided to be brave, for the third day in a row.  (Hence the blog title!)


Rick Steves says if you are tired of Naples, you are tired of life.  I get that statement once I took a breath & chugged a nice local spirit.   It's the most lively place I have ever been.  As there are no green spaces in the city, people stroll around & sit/stand at any open space available.  Sure, the drivers are crazy & I think the only sound I heard all day was horns, but they have character.


We did see the laundry hanging out, people yelling, drivers doing unspeakable traffic violations, people using pulley systems to get up groceries, and some unsavory people.   That's the Naples you read about.  But I didn't take a purse & Jordan's smart, so we started to take a second look.  I then noticed all the neat shops, the people enjoying each other's company from all generations, the street food, and just city life.  We also had to see the famous churches.  (Jordan is so over churches right now.)


We had pizza for dinner!  And some drinks on a local Piazza.


We woke up early to be the first & second person in the line for the National Archeological Museum.  It has artifacts from Egyptian times to the 1700s when the museum opened.  An impressive lay-out shows money from 500 BC until the Italian unification. The museum is most known for the loot it got from Pompeii.  Anything left there not attached to a building is probably here. It even has a secret room, which you can google.  




Here are two writings older than the Bible.



We then ate some street pizza & got ready for our train trip back to Rome!  So thanks Naples for treating me kindly & I'll never say never on returning

PS) here is proof of me with my backpack in the train station:

No comments:

Post a Comment