Sunday, May 20, 2012

The top of Europe...

We have spent the past two days in/around Murren.  This town is 5,360 feet up, which I am very much feeling!  I had to rest all last night in the room & watch the BBC's Eastenders.  (Marty--who killed Heather!?)  But this morning we conquered the top of Europe.  We cheated a bit & went to the Schilthorn which looks over the top of Europe (Jungfraujoch), Eiger & Monch.  The story of these three mountains is that the Eiger is a man who wants to woo the beautiful Jungfraujoch maiden, but the Monch (monk) protects her.  The Schilthorn had amazing views & we had the perfect weather!!  Look at these views...




Also, we ate the special 007 breakfast.  This location was where the James Bond's movie Her Majesty's Secret Service was filmed before the restaurant opened to the public.


After that we visited Gimmelwald.  We made the 40 minute hike down the mountain to this quaint town.  The reason we had to visit this town is my favorite travel writer, and the books I carry with me on the trips, states his is favorite place on Earth. And Rick Steves has been to a lot of places!  You could easily see why-the small town had a serene quietness about it.  And like everywhere around here, the views are postcard perfect!



Then we made the mistake of walking back up the mountain.  The walk was 1000 feet straight uphill.  I thought I might not make it up the hill.  Clearly we should have trained for that kind of exercise (probably should have taken the cablecar)!


One of the things I've noticed about Switzerland is the views.  I had prepared myself that the views could not  live up to the postcards & internet pictures, but instead it has been even more breathtaking.  Everywhere you look is amazing.  It truly is the prettiest country I have ever been to!  I'm so glad we came here, even if the heights are a bit much at times...

No comments:

Post a Comment