Saturday, September 14, 2013

Around Town In Basel

Today; a short post about the city of Basel.  Basel is a city that touches, and even stretches into three countries.  It has the only airport in the world that is based in three countries and it's called EuroAirport.  The town is very Swiss, has a strong German influence, and most of the food is Italian. As you walk around you can't help but overhear many languages, but primarily German.   It is considered one of the most international cities in the world.  It has the international bank center and many global companies are based here.  However, somehow it maintains its Swiss charm while being quietly multi-national. 




Basel is famous for modern art and a red Marketplatz.  It is has also been a big stop on the Rhine river for businesses since Roman times.  

Two different nights this week, I enjoyed my favorite Swiss thing =Rosti.  Rosti is like really good hash-browns smothered in Swiss cheese.  I added bacon and a fried egg to mine.  The portions are large, but I ate all of my dish because it was so delicious.  The German waitress said "ah, see for two and pointed to my belly".  It was amusing (to others at least).  Sadly I am having to refrain from my other favorite Swiss thing - the local white wine Fendant - which is only produced in Switzerland.  It is only rarely exported, even to the EU.  I have tried to order it in the US, but no avail.  But I am bringing some home for next year!
We will end up staying eight nights in one tiny apartment.  It is like living in an IKEA showroom!  We have tried to live more like the locals by going to the grocery store, having a car, using the tram to get to work and walking around at night to then go linger over a long dinner.  Too bad I can’t drink like the locals (le' sigh).  It has taught us we could definitely live here if we could afford a TWO bedroom non-studio apartment in the city.  However, we would really miss real diet coke and definitely have to learn German.
Now someone help me to get a job transfer.


-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment