Saturday, May 14, 2016

Barcelona day 1.75

I'm a little late in posting as I've been in Barcelona since Friday morning about 2:00 am eastern. My first day?!? was very busy while I was solo (see Lauren's previous posts about her travels already this week) then we jumped right up this morning to see formula 1 qualifying.

First, my trip here was among the best of the red-eye flights so far. Our years of travel have paid off and being a member of the American Airlines club made the 3+ hour layover in Philadelphia more of a pitstop. Plus the new planes have personal infotainment systems so all in all I got here tired but not absolutely crushed like on our first few trips. I had a whole day to kill and technically could have gone to see the F1 practices but wasn't really feeling like it. I was able to find wifi though since a lot of Barcelona has free wifi coverage. Thanks to that, I found a few nice spots and was able to connect with Lauren about her flight so I could buy all the train tickets and meet her at the airport.














We were both beat, so we explored lightly and got settled into the local area.

Today (Saturday) we got up early and hit the bus for the f1 qualifying session. There was a practice first, then souped up Porsche racers, then lunch at the track, and finally the Saturday attraction which is $500,000,000 cars going flat out for one lap. Good times.














After the track we headed for a Saturday only dance that some older ladies from town do in the square in front of the old cathedral. Unfortunately rain dampened their spirits but we kept exploring the older part of the city. We will be back during our official tour of the city but for now it was a good primer. So far we have found Barcelona to be fun and friendly... and sunny. It's large but not Paris or London large and the metro is good. We will be exploring more during the week though.











Tonight we landed at a bar very close to our hotel with a Wall Street theme ; Dow Jones. The drinks change price according to popularity and the decor is all American. I'm not sure why no one has thought of this in the U.S. but it's very fun. More to come.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment