Thursday, May 19, 2016

Mountains & Beaches, Oh My!

On Thursday, we ventured out of the city to see a church built onto the cliffside.  It is said to be the source of the region (Catalan) pride's and has had a history going back to the 800s.




We had an interesting train ride with Brazilians & emigrated Cuban-Americans.  I was even serenaded in the train. We then had to take a steep ride up a cable car, which always makes me cringe. (Again, thanks Murren.)





Beside being built on the mountain, this church is famous for its Virgin Mary statue & it's choir.  Even after waiting almost an hour, the statue, church & choir were memorable and moving.  






Then we went hiking, after another train ride straight up the mountain.  The original monastery & church was built into the sheer cliff higher up.  You cannot beat the view.  Great job Monks!




After that, we decided to end our day with  a walk down a few of the city's beaches & enjoy this view.  I got to stick my feet in the (cold) Mediterranean Sea.  I promised myself I would come back to the Mediterranean when it was warm enough to swim.  


I found my shop (eyescream & friends) & had to get a plate.   We ended this hike at the goldfish statue where the 1992 Olympic village was built.

To end our day we made a few other  rounds in our neighborhood, in which we went to the fancier part which is upscale.  We had to end the night at Dow Jones for the wifi.

No comments:

Post a Comment